Zagreb Holding Hrvatski English
SitemapContact

Dolac timeline

1905. - The city authorities building office produced a conceptual design for a market at Britanski trg (called Ilički trg the time) at the initiative of the members of the city assembly. Nothing ever came out of it, however.

1907. - The self-government committee of the city assembly decided to build the central city market at the end of Martićeva ulica, where stables were located.

1908. - The city authorities worked on the idea of building a market between Jelačićev trg, Vlaška ulica and Gradska štedionica (City Savings Bank). The idea was not accepted.

1909. - The city authorities announced a public call for a new urban plan for the Kaptol and Dolac areas. Architect Viktor Kovačić received the first prize. His project envisaged a market located partly in Dolac, and partly in Kaptol. The idea was dismissed, however.

1911. - The city assembly definitely decided to build the market in Dolac. In line with this decision, they started buying properties in Dolac.

1920. - Owners of the houses and properties that the City had bought in the eve of the World War I voiced their first loud protests, but the construction of the market did not begin.

1924. - The city assembly decided to make a new urban plan for Dolac, Kaptol and the surrounding area for the purpose of building the market.

1925. - Having accepted the new urban plan, the city assembly decided to make a design of the new Dolac Market.

1927. - The groundwork (digging at the Dolac Hill) for the construction of the market began.

1928. - The construction of the market building and the management building started after the bidding for the works.

1930. - The new market was opened.

1933. - Learning of the plan of the Zagreb city authorities to build a new market in Zagreb, the Consulate of the Kingdom of Yugoslavia in Trieste sent a blueprint of the Trieste Fish Market to the Zagreb City Hall.

1933. -  A commission studied the possible locations for the new fish market in Zagreb

1933. -  Among the proposed locations, it picked the one in Dolac, but the cold storage for the fish market was supposed to be built next to the city slaughterhouse on present-day Heinzelova ulica.

1935. -  The definite decision to build the fish market in Dolac was made.

1935. -  The idea to build the cold storage for the fish market on Heinzelova ulica was abandoned. The decision was made to set it up in Dolac, using the existing cold storage. The fish market was built adjacent to the management building in a plot that was promised to the St. Mary’s Parish Office, which was going to build a housing building for the priests serving at this church there.

1936. - The fish market was opened. Built as a temporary facility, it had to be demolished after six years.

1953. -  The Dolac Market sector where dairy products were sold, also known as the Arko Market, was reconstructed.

1958. -  The dairy sector of the market was reconstructed again, this time more thoroughly.

1963. -  The asphalt pavement of the open air area of the market was reconstructed due to water runoff in the market building.

1967. -  The market got a new and more powerful transformer station.

1978. -  The reconstruction of the mezzanine at the market building, where poultry and game was sold.

1983. -  The dairy sector of the market was thoroughly reconstructed.

1989. -  The fish market was fully reconstructed due to its dilapidated state and poor sanitary conditions for fish sales.

1991. -  The terrace on the south side of the market was partitioned off, and the space used to house nine shops and cafés.

1994. - The interior of the market building was thoroughly reconstructed.

1997. -  The second reconstruction of the mezzanine in the building after the World War II was completed. In addition to poultry, game and meat is now sold there.

Here ends our brief tour of Dolac in the past 70 years, the market that managed to hold on to its local atmosphere and its typical vendors and buyers. Next, we will take you even further into the past, where you will get to know the Jelačić plac as it used to be, the Manduševac Well and the omnipresent market vendors.